Thursday, September 28, 2006

Allan Border has hinted that the Aussie's are indeed planning to play all-rounder Shane Watson in the up and coming Ashes series.

Border stopped short of saying whether the plan was to play a 4 pronged pace attack or 2 spinners however. It is probable that if Watson does play then the Aussies will vary their attack, selecting an extra paceman or spinner depending on the ground and pitch conditions. Watson has showed he can bowl with sustained 85mph pace on a good outside-off-stump line and length before.
Watson has looked feeble with the bat when up against top quality international bowling however, so the Aussies must have gained some respect for Englands batsmen since the 2005 series. A few years ago they would have backed McGrath, Gillespie and Warne to bowl England out twice on any surface.
A weaker batting line up including Watson will be good news in some respects for England. Without fast bowlers Simon Jones England are weaker in the bowling department than last time around, however Mahmood does have the potential to take lots of wickets at the highest level with his 90mph plus skiddy deliveries. Englands other option is to play 2 spinners, something that will cause a mixed reaction with the fans no doubt.
The prospect of facing both Warne and McGill, who has taken over 200 test match wickets despite playing secind fiddle all these years, will have England thinking about their batting techniques though. Hopefully they will resist the temptation to play a 4 man attack themselves for the sake of an extra batsman and go for the kill.
With this news about Watson the series is shaping up to be another cracker - don't expect too many boring draws.

15 Comments:

Blogger cov said...

Alastair Cook is going to have to sort out his technique to leg-spinners if there are going to be two of them bowing...

10:08 AM  
Blogger cov said...

I of course meant bowling...:)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous raincoaster said...

I know nothing about cricket, but I think the joke works either way.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Steven_L said...

I can't remember Cook having problems getting out to the spinners, just scoring freely off them.

Expect him to be locked away batting against Merlin while the ICC trophy is on.

At last - we have found a subject raincoaster knows nothing about!

4:48 AM  
Blogger Philipa said...

I know nothing about cricket too, just popped by.

Hello.

Bye.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous raincoaster said...

Well I am at least of the opinion that the blond has nice hair. An opinion is as good as information in the blogosphere.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Steven_L said...

'The blonde' you're refering to is an Aussie. They are the enemy on this blog. They are Kangeroo humping convict s**t-heads as far as cricket is concerned.

He doesn't have 'nice hair' he has a 'ridiculous mop'.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous raincoaster said...

No, Boris has a ridiculous mop. The Aussie has nice hair. Beckham is the one who looks like the convict.

2:38 AM  
Blogger Philipa said...

Oh now I know why you wanted to know if I was interested in Steven, raincoaster, YOU fancy him. Bless you both, I love a romance. (especially if it's not my own)

3:24 AM  
Anonymous raincoaster said...

philipa, is Steven blond??? Enquiring minds want to know.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Steven_L said...

Are you girls fighting over me on my blog? What a lovely thing to wake up to on a Friday morning.

I'm not blonde. If I had a decent digital camera, or the software that came with my phone worked, I would take you a picture.

Unfortunately my brothers webcam is cheap shit and the software that came with my phone doesn't work.

If you must know I have short dark hair unlike that ridiculous kuala-bear-humping convict in the picture.

4:20 AM  
Anonymous raincoaster said...

Then he outranks you, at least until you post a photo proving you are actually George Clooney's double.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Philipa said...

I wouldn't want George Clooney's double, nor the real thing (obviously some people might conclude that I'm very sad and need therapy immediately). Nope, nor Brad Pitt either (yuk). See my blog for shag-fest inspiration but the notable exception there is.... actually there's a list. We need a picture Steven, there are so many wonderful possibilities!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Steven_L said...

Clooney is a short-arse, in fact most of these actors are.

Wonderful possibilities? What to post my picture around the interweb?

9:15 AM  
Blogger Philipa said...

Nothing wrong with dating a short-arse, it works for me - their eyeline is level with my breasts and they never see my face. Result! Anyway everyone's supposed to be the same size lying down. Don't know how that would work though. Thinks Julia Roberts and MiniMe from Goldmember.

Posting your picture around the web....hmn! Cricket-mad male, low mileage but in need of servicing immediatly.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home