Sunday, September 17, 2006

Good news for Englands ICC Champions trophy and possibly World Cup bids today as Jimmy Anderson returned 2-31 off 7 overs in his comeback game for Lancashire.

England have won 24 out of the 50 one day games Anderson has played in, not a remarkable record, but considering Englands woeful one-day form over recent years a welcome return of a match winning bowler.
The opening combination of Anderson and Stephen Harmison, with Andrew Flintoff as first change should be what Engalnd are aiming at for the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies. However Anderson will now be facing stiff competition from Jon Lewis for the spot of swing bowler. Lewis is probably the batter batsman of the two and arguably has more control with the white ball. Anderson, however, has pace on his side and the proven ability to get good batsmen out.
Some would beg the question of whether Anderson and Lewis could play together in a four pronged pace attack. With James Dalrymple looking more and more likely to play in the World Cup as spinner and Kevin Pietersen's off breaks looking more and more match worthy this could be a combination worth thinking about.
However wickets in the West Indies are being prepared low and slow. Two swing bowlers might not be a good strategy. The West Indies have had recent success at limiting the scoring using a combination of medium pace and finger spin in the middle of the innings.
The ICC trophy and the one day triangular series against Australia and New Zealand are now the only opportunities left for England to test their options. So far, Steven_L's World Cup England eleven would be as follows:
Trescothick, Strauss, Bell, Pietersen, Flintoff, Collingwood, Dalrymple, Read, Harmison, Anderson, Panesar
Panesar you all ask? He's not even in the ICC squad! No, but he can be relied upon to bowl 10 good overs every time you throw him the ball.

10 Comments:

Anonymous jaq said...

Yo steven, like the blog - mine's a work in progress too. Tell me, how do you get your name to be your blog link on the BJ blog?? Pop on over to mine and reveal all?

cheers, jaq

11:47 AM  
Anonymous jaq said...

By 'work in progress' I meant that you've put a lot more on since the last time I peeked.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous raincoaster said...

To get your name to be a live link on Boris's blog you need to fill in the URL section with the link to your blog, including the "http://" part.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Steven_L said...

It took me ages to work out what that 'URL' blox was for too Jaq. Raincoaster's a nerd and a geek.

3:31 AM  
Anonymous raincoaster said...

You mean the little box that says URL beside it? Yeah, that must have been hard.

Poo on you, cryptofascist neocon!

If you had a blogroll, you might get some friends.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Steven_L said...

How do I make a blogroll then? I want to edit my links etc but I dunno how.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous raincoaster said...

I'll have to check out Blogger and get back to you. I don't know nearly as much about it as about Wordpress.

Or ask jaq; she's got it going on!

3:53 AM  
Blogger Steven_L said...

I used the help file and did it all on my own.

I thought long and hard whether or not to include you on my blogroll, in the end I added you.

I got a new friend in India, he emailed he and is gonna add me to his blogroll.

5:01 AM  
Anonymous raincoaster said...

Congratulations; I am pleased with my billing. Baseball rulez!!!

1:26 AM  
Blogger Steven_L said...

Go fetch ur mit!

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home